How successful is deep brain stimulation in treating dystonia?

One of the challenges of treating dystonia with deep brain stimulation (DBS) is that it is difficult to predict the success of the treatment. In other words, it’s hard to know which patients will benefit and how much benefit DBS will provide. More than 10 years of research data shows that, in general, DBS provides a 50-60% improvement in symptoms. Some patients have a 90% reduction in symptoms. However, even an improvement rating of 30% can have a significant impact on a person’s ability to function.
Deep brain stimulation has shown some success in treating dystonia in some people. Deep brain stimulation is a valid option for people with dystonia who do not respond to Botox (botulinum toxin) injections or other medications used for dystonia.

Continue Learning about Dystonia

What are the treatment options for dystonia?
Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)
Treatment of dystonia must be customized to the needs of the individual patient. In general, treatme...
When do symptoms of dystonia occur?
Dystonia can occur in children and adults of all ages. There are numerous types of dystonia and nume...
How do I prepare for my doctor's appointment to discuss my dystonia?
If you are going to your doctor to discuss your dystonia symptoms, it is important to be prepared. K...
How can my dystonia make it difficult to socialize?
There are a number of ways in which dystonia can make it challenging to socialize or feel connected ...