How do I select a medical center that offers deep brain stimulation?

Deep brain stimulation for dystonia is a highly specialized procedure that should be performed by a multidisciplinary team with extensive training and experience. Each medical center that offers DBS will have its own methods and procedures. The first step in the evaluation process for DBS is to meet with a DBS-trained movement disorders neurologist. The Dystonia Medical Research Foundation can help you locate centers in your region.

To select a medical center that offers deep brain stimulation it would be best to talk with your neurologist. In general, a center that has a neurosurgical department tied to a university that does research and has specialists in deep brain stimulation, would be ideal since they are likely to have the most experience with this procedure. This may mean traveling to a large city.

Continue Learning about Dystonia

What is the difference between dystonia and Parkinson's disease?
Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)
Symptoms of dystonia and parkinsonism can occur in the same patient, because both of these movement ...
Can dystonia be treated?
There is not yet a cure for dystonia, but there are multiple treatment options. The goal of treatmen...
Can I have dystonia in my neck?
Yes, dystonia affecting the neck muscles is among the most common types of dystonia. Dystonia in the...
Is it common for me to feel lonely or isolated because of my dystonia?
Loneliness and feelings of isolation are common among individuals with chronic illness, so it is not...