How does dystonia affect breathing?

Dystonia rarely affects breathing. Severe generalized dystonia may involve the diaphragm muscles (the primary breathing muscles) or cause enough truncal twisting to cause some problems with regular breathing.

Continue Learning about Dystonia

How successful is deep brain stimulation in treating dystonia?
Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)
One of the challenges of treating dystonia with deep brain stimulation (DBS) is that it is difficult...
Is it common for me to feel lonely or isolated because of my dystonia?
Loneliness and feelings of isolation are common among individuals with chronic illness, so it is not...
Is dystonia a mental disability?
Dystonia does not affect a person's mental ability. In some cases, people mistake those with dystoni...
How are torticollis and dystonia related in toddlers?
Although the term spasmodic torticollis is used to describe cervical dystonia, the word torticollis ...