How does dystonia affect my bones?

Dystonia does not have a primary effect on bones, but because of the abnormal postures that result from dystonic spasms, unusual mechanical stress may be placed on bones. For instance, if someone has a severe dystonia that involves a very sustained posture in one position, he or she may get a shortening of the ligaments and tendons so that the joint becomes "contracted" and can no longer move freely through a full range of motion. With time, this might be expected to cause excessive wear on the affected bones. Even short of a contracture, some bones may experience excessive wear because of such abnormal mechanical stresses. Bone changes, however, are not usually symptomatically important to people with dystonia. It is more often the case that doctors are concerned about dystonia's effect on muscles and related supportive tissues as they influence posture.

Continue Learning about Dystonia

Is it common for me to feel lonely or isolated because of my dystonia?
Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)
Loneliness and feelings of isolation are common among individuals with chronic illness, so it is not...
Is botulinum neurotoxin injection therapy safe?
It may be confusing that a treatment has the word “toxin” in its name. However, when administered by...
What is focal dystonia?
Dystonia may affect a specific part of the body, or it may affect muscles all over the body. When dy...
What is the difference between dystonia and Parkinson's disease?
Symptoms of dystonia and parkinsonism can occur in the same patient, because both of these movement ...