How does dystonia affect musicians?

Musicians can develop a type of dystonia that may affect their ability to play an instrument. It is a task-specific type of dystonia that may result from overusing certain muscles. Pianists can develop it in their hands and fingers, for instance, while clarinetists may develop it in their mouth. These types of dystonias are also known as occupational dystonias.

Continue Learning about Dystonia

What is focal dystonia?
Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)
Dystonia may affect a specific part of the body, or it may affect muscles all over the body. When dy...
How do I prepare for my doctor's appointment to discuss my dystonia?
If you are going to your doctor to discuss your dystonia symptoms, it is important to be prepared. K...
What are different types of focal dystonias?
Focal dystonias affect a specific group of muscles or body part. The following are different types o...
Is dystonia a mental disability?
Dystonia does not affect a person's mental ability. In some cases, people mistake those with dystoni...