How can complementary care help treat dystonia?

Traditional western practices, such as medications and surgery, have long been effective at diagnosing health problems and assigning treatments, but they may not fully address how patients live every day. These medical fields are slowly incorporating treatments outside of the traditional scope to better assist patients and to treat the "whole person" -- body, mind and spirit. Today, complementary therapy may play an active role in your treatment of dystonia. It’s intended to be used along with traditional therapies. To avoid any interactions and potential problems, it is important to have open communication with every doctor and practitioner you work with.

It also is very important that any practitioners of complementary therapies who you consult are familiar with dystonia or willing to learn about it prior to treating you. The Dystonia Medical Research Foundation can provide materials to help you educate your healthcare professionals.

Continue Learning about Dystonia

Can dystonia be treated?
Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)
There is not yet a cure for dystonia, but there are multiple treatment options. The goal of treatmen...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with dystonia?
The severe symptoms that often accompany dystonia can impact a person's ability to manage day-to-day...
Is it common for me to feel lonely or isolated because of my dystonia?
Loneliness and feelings of isolation are common among individuals with chronic illness, so it is not...
What is the difference between dystonia and Parkinson's disease?
Symptoms of dystonia and parkinsonism can occur in the same patient, because both of these movement ...