How can my dystonia make it difficult to socialize?

Dystonias can make it difficult to socialize because they can cause pain or make enjoyable activities uncomfortable. You may feel that there is a stigma against you just because you have a health condition.

There are a number of ways in which dystonia can make it challenging to socialize or feel connected to others. Symptoms may make it difficult to walk, sit, speak, or see. There may be pain. The uncontrollable and constant muscle contractions are often exhausting. People who are not informed about dystonia may mistake symptoms for signs of substance abuse, mental impairment or bad manners.

Individuals frequently report symptoms of depression and anxiety disorders, including social phobia. In many cases these symptoms precede the onset of dystonia. Research suggests these may be non-motor symptoms of dystonia, not simply a reaction to developing dystonia. Individuals who may be experiencing symptoms of depression and/or anxiety are encouraged to consult a mental health professional.

Continue Learning about Dystonia

What should be my first step in seeking the best treatment for dystonia?
Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)
The first step in seeking the best treatment for dystonia is to work with a movement disorder specia...
How are temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disease and dystonia related?
Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disease is an arthritic condition, not a dystonia. Oromandibular dysto...
Can I have dystonia in my neck?
Yes, dystonia affecting the neck muscles is among the most common types of dystonia. Dystonia in the...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with dystonia?
The severe symptoms that often accompany dystonia can impact a person's ability to manage day-to-day...