How do I begin the process of receiving DBS for my dystonia?

Deep brain stimulation (DBS) for dystonia is a highly specialized procedure that should be performed by a multidisciplinary healthcare team with extensive training and experience. Each medical center that offers DBS will have its own methods and procedures. The first step in the evaluation process for DBS is to meet with a DBS-trained movement disorders neurologist. The Dystonia Medical Research Foundation can help you locate centers in your region.

Continue Learning about Dystonia

What is dystonia?
Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)
Dystonia is a movement disorder characterized by persistent or intermittent muscle contractions caus...
Is botulinum neurotoxin injection therapy safe?
It may be confusing that a treatment has the word “toxin” in its name. However, when administered by...
How can my dystonia make it difficult to socialize?
There are a number of ways in which dystonia can make it challenging to socialize or feel connected ...
How are torticollis and dystonia related in toddlers?
Although the term spasmodic torticollis is used to describe cervical dystonia, the word torticollis ...