How can I alleviate stress while dealing with dystonia?

It’s important to find ways to relieve stress if you have dystonia. Stress management strategies may be incorporated into a dystonia physical therapy program. Stress management may also mean taking more time for leisurely activities. Yoga or a soft martial art, such as Tai Chi, may increase fitness and relaxation simultaneously. Meditation can create a mental refuge from stress and aggravation.

Relaxation exercises also may be tailored to address specific motor problems. Relaxation techniques range from deep breathing, visualization and progressive muscle relaxation to local and generalized stretching.

Continue Learning about Dystonia

Can I have dystonia in my neck?
Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)
Yes, dystonia affecting the neck muscles is among the most common types of dystonia. Dystonia in the...
When do symptoms of dystonia occur?
Dystonia can occur in children and adults of all ages. There are numerous types of dystonia and nume...
How is deep brain stimulation (DBS) used to treat dystonia?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Deep brain stimulation (DBS) has become an important tool in the treatment of dystonia. In the proce...
What should be my first step in seeking the best treatment for dystonia?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Your first step in seeking the best treatment for dystonia is to visit your primary care doctor. Dys...