Is it common for me to feel lonely or isolated because of my dystonia?

Loneliness and feelings of isolation are common among individuals with chronic illness, so it is not surprising that individuals with dystonia may experience this. Many individuals with dystonia report the disorder makes them feel “different” and therefore separate from others. The onset of dystonia might spark an intense period of reflection about your life, relationships, career, future and sense of self. It should also be noted that individuals with dystonia may be at increased risk for depression, so individuals who may be experiencing symptoms of depression and/or anxiety may consider being evaluated by a mental health professional.

It is common for people with dystonia to feel lonely or isolated. Withdrawal from social activities can be related to dystonia, especially if the symptoms include pain. Depression or anxiety may also go hand in hand with dystonia, and should be addressed separately.

Continue Learning about Dystonia

What should be my first step in seeking the best treatment for dystonia?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Your first step in seeking the best treatment for dystonia is to visit your primary care doctor. Dys...
How do I prepare for my doctor's appointment to discuss my dystonia?
If you are going to your doctor to discuss your dystonia symptoms, it is important to be prepared. K...
What are the side effects of the medicines used to treat dystonia?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
All medicines have side effects. For dystonia treatment, the pills or liquid medicine can make peopl...
Are peripheral surgeries used to treat people with dystonia?
Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)
Before the development of botulinum neurotoxin injections, surgical techniques were developed to tre...