Is it common for me to feel lonely or isolated because of my dystonia?

Loneliness and feelings of isolation are common among individuals with chronic illness, so it is not surprising that individuals with dystonia may experience this. Many individuals with dystonia report the disorder makes them feel “different” and therefore separate from others. The onset of dystonia might spark an intense period of reflection about your life, relationships, career, future and sense of self. It should also be noted that individuals with dystonia may be at increased risk for depression, so individuals who may be experiencing symptoms of depression and/or anxiety may consider being evaluated by a mental health professional.

It is common for people with dystonia to feel lonely or isolated. Withdrawal from social activities can be related to dystonia, especially if the symptoms include pain. Depression or anxiety may also go hand in hand with dystonia, and should be addressed separately.

Continue Learning about Dystonia

Dystonia

When your muscles contract involuntarily, the condition is called dystonia. Dystonia causes a twisting or clenching of whatever body part is affected. For example, when you have a stroke, the affected arm and hand may be clenched ...

and held in a strange position. Dystonia can be very mild or very severe. It can make your life very difficult and this can lead to frustration, depression or anxiety. See your doctor to treat your symptoms and talk over your frustrations.