Can I have dystonia in my neck?

Yes, dystonia affecting the neck muscles is among the most common types of dystonia. Dystonia in the neck is called cervical dystonia, referring to the muscles along the cervical spine. Symptoms include extreme, often painful, muscle spasms that cause involuntary movements and postures of the head and neck. 
Susie Whitworth
Nursing
Dystonia in the neck is called cervical dystonia. Cervical dystonia causes abnormal movements and involuntary contracting of the neck muscles. The involunatary movements can be clonic (jerky) or tonic (sustained). Cervical dystonia is considered a focal dystonia and may cause considerable discomfort and pain.

Spasmodic torticollis is a type of dystonia that targets the muscles in the neck. In fact, it is one of the more common forms of the condition. Neck muscles spasm uncontrollably, which can force the neck and head into uncomfortable and unnatural positions. Early symptoms may include a tugging feeling in the neck.

Continue Learning about Dystonia

Dystonia

When your muscles contract involuntarily, the condition is called dystonia. Dystonia causes a twisting or clenching of whatever body part is affected. For example, when you have a stroke, the affected arm and hand may be clenched ...

and held in a strange position. Dystonia can be very mild or very severe. It can make your life very difficult and this can lead to frustration, depression or anxiety. See your doctor to treat your symptoms and talk over your frustrations.