Are ramisectomy and rhizotomy surgeries performed for cervical dystonia?

Ramisectomy and rhizotomy are procedures that involve cutting the nerve or nerves supplying overactive muscles, including those involved in cervical dystonia. A ramisectomy may be incorporated into a selective denervation surgery for cervical dystonia, while rhizotomies are only rarely performed for dystonia.

These procedures are recommended less frequently for cervical dystonia in light of the availability of less aggressive, but effective,  therapies such as botulinum toxin injections and deep brain stimulation.

This content originally appeared on the Dystonia Medical Research Foundation website at www.dystonia-foundation.org.

Continue Learning about Dystonia

How are temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disease and dystonia related?
Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)
Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disease is an arthritic condition, not a dystonia. Oromandibular dysto...
What types of dystonia are task specific?
Occupational dystonia refers to types of dystonia that are often task specific. Occupational dystoni...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with dystonia?
The severe symptoms that often accompany dystonia can impact a person's ability to manage day-to-day...
How do I prepare for my doctor's appointment to discuss my dystonia?
If you are going to your doctor to discuss your dystonia symptoms, it is important to be prepared. K...