Should I talk to my doctor about my DUB symptoms?

Women with dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB) experience irregularly timed periods (less than 28 or more than 35 days apart) with occasional bleeding in between periods. Vaginal bleeding during the period is often heavier than normal and lasts more than the normal period length of seven days. Excessive blood loss can lead to fatigue and anemia. Beyond the menstrual cycle, women will experience symptoms of irregular hormone levels. This includes body hair growth and mood swings.

Irregular periods are expected when a young woman starts her period or when a woman is about to enter menopause, but abnormal bleeding like this can have a number of causes. Talk to your doctor if your DUB symptoms are disruptive to your everyday life. Hormonal treatment can make DUB more manageable. It is also important to go to the doctor if you think you are at risk for endometrial cancer. Risk factors for endometrial cancer include women over the age of 40 (especially between ages 60-70), obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, a history of irregular periods, polycystic ovary syndrome, gallbladder disease, never having been pregnant, and problems related to the uterine lining that your doctor can find through various imaging examinations.

Continue Learning about Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding (DUB)

What is dysfunctional uterine bleeding?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB) is an excessive vaginal bleeding that is abnormal to the menstr...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with DUB?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Twenty percent of women with dysfunctional uterine bleeding are adolescents. Over 50 percent of wome...
When should I call my doctor about abnormal vaginal bleeding?
It is recommended that you call your doctor about bleeding that is heavy, prolonged, or between peri...
How does dysfunctional uterine bleeding affect pregnancy?
Dysfunctional uterine bleeding can affect your ability to become pregnant. 90% of women with dysfunc...