How is dysfunctional uterine bleeding treated?

Because dysfunctional uterine bleeding is caused by an abnormal amount of hormones, medication used to treat DUB works by regulating the body's hormones. Birth control pills use a combination of estrogen and a progestin to regulate the hormones related to menstruation. These help make periods lighter and more regular. These hormones can also be injected or used in an intrauterine device (IUD). Ibuprofen or another nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication taken just before the beginning of the period may also help.

Some lifestyle changes can also help with menstrual bleeding. Women who eat healthily and sleep well have better periods. Also, avoid aspirin because that can add to problems related to blood clotting. An iron supplement may help prevent symptoms of anemia.

Doctors do not usually perform hysterectomies as a treatment for dysfunctional uterine bleeding on younger women. The results are severe; a woman no longer gets her period and cannot have children. For this reason, it is only done as a last resort on younger women and is done most often on women during menopause.

There are many treatments for dysfunctional uterine bleeding, depending on the cause of the problem.

Continue Learning about Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding (DUB)

What do I need to know about caring for someone with DUB?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Twenty percent of women with dysfunctional uterine bleeding are adolescents. Over 50 percent of wome...
What is dysfunctional uterine bleeding?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB) is an excessive vaginal bleeding that is abnormal to the menstr...
Should I talk to my doctor about my DUB symptoms?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Women with dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB) experience irregularly timed periods (less than 28 o...
What causes dysfunctional uterine bleeding?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB) is caused by abnormal levels of the hormone estrogen. In women ...