What do I need to know about caring for someone with DUB?

Twenty percent of women with dysfunctional uterine bleeding are adolescents. Over 50 percent of women with DUB are over the age of 45. Adolescents often grow out of dysfunctional uterine bleeding. The beginning of young woman's period is often irregular and then become regular after some time. Other adolescents, though, may require treatment to deal with severe and disruptive symptoms. Because dysfunctional uterine bleeding can occur at any time in a woman's child bearing years, many older women experience symptoms. Adolescents are less frequently treated when the period is not disruptively heavy and the doctor thinks she will grow out of the disorder soon. Women with severe symptoms can be treated with NSAIDs, birth control pills or other hormonal methods. If these methods don't help and they no longer want to have children, they may consider a hysterectomy or other surgical procedure.

When caring for someone with dysfunctional uterine bleeding, be aware of symptoms of the disorder. Be sensitive to mood swings, which are a symptom of irregular hormones, and remember that fatigue is problem associated with excessive bleeding. Anemia can be a serious side effect and require iron treatment. Make sure the person takes all medications as prescribed. If the person is having problems because of infertility related to the condition, be sensitive to the emotional stress this may be placing her under.

Continue Learning about Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding (DUB)

What is dysfunctional uterine bleeding?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB) is an excessive vaginal bleeding that is abnormal to the menstr...
How does dysfunctional uterine bleeding affect pregnancy?
Dysfunctional uterine bleeding can affect your ability to become pregnant. 90% of women with dysfunc...
What causes dysfunctional uterine bleeding?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB) is caused by abnormal levels of the hormone estrogen. In women ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my DUB symptoms?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Women with dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB) experience irregularly timed periods (less than 28 o...