Should I talk to my doctor about my dry socket symptoms?

You should talk to your dentist or doctor about your dry socket symptoms, even though it goes away on its own. Dry socket can be very painful, and the pain can last a week or two. It can also lead to lost time at work or school, infections or slow healing, and complications for other dental work.

Because dry socket can lead to infection, and because certain conditions (such as diabetes) can increase the likelihood of dry socket, you should consult your doctor or dentist at once if you have symptoms of dry socket. Dry socket needs professional treatment to reduce pain and promote healing.
If you have dry socket, immediately consult your dentist. This can be very painful and a dentist can recommend treatments to help with the pain as well as the healing process.

Treatment may include:
  • Cleaning the site of the extraction and placing a medicated dressing in the socket. 
  • Changing the dressing daily until the pain diminishes and the socket begins to heal.
  • Prescribing a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug, such as aspirin or ibuprofen.

Continue Learning about Dry Socket

Is dry socket serious?
Dry socket is not a serious condition, but it can be painful. This temporary condition usually goes ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with dry socket?
When caring for someone with dry socket, there are several ways you can help them. You can place ice...
Who is most affected by dry socket?
The people who are most often affected by dry socket include those with diabetes, those who smoke, a...
How long does dry socket last?
Dry socket generally lasts anywhere between a week and several weeks. However, once you have receive...