Should I talk to my doctor about my dry socket symptoms?

If you have dry socket, immediately consult your dentist. This can be very painful and a dentist can recommend treatments to help with the pain as well as the healing process.

Treatment may include:
  • Cleaning the site of the extraction and placing a medicated dressing in the socket. 
  • Changing the dressing daily until the pain diminishes and the socket begins to heal.
  • Prescribing a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug, such as aspirin or ibuprofen.
Because dry socket can lead to infection, and because certain conditions (such as diabetes) can increase the likelihood of dry socket, you should consult your doctor or dentist at once if you have symptoms of dry socket. Dry socket needs professional treatment to reduce pain and promote healing.

You should talk to your dentist or doctor about your dry socket symptoms, even though it goes away on its own. Dry socket can be very painful, and the pain can last a week or two. It can also lead to lost time at work or school, infections or slow healing, and complications for other dental work.

Continue Learning about Dry Socket

Dry Socket

Dry Socket

If you've just had a tooth extracted, particularly a wisdom tooth, you may start to feel a nasty pain a few days after the tooth extraction. Call your doctor or dentist to see if this is dry socket, a condition that can happen whe...

n the blood clot that is supposed to form in the socket where your tooth was gets dislodged. This will interfere with healing. Also known as alveolar osteitis, dry socket can cause pain not only where the tooth was but through the jaw and radiating to your ears. Learn more about preventing and treating dry socket with expert advice from Sharecare.