How can dry socket affect my quality of life?

Dry socket may affect your quality of life by causing considerable pain. Dry socket can occur after you've had a tooth removed. Usually, this removal results in a blood clot forming over the hole that contained your tooth (the socket). This clot is important because it protects the socket until the healing process is complete. Sometimes, however, the blood clot gets washed away before the socket is healed fully. This leaves the socket exposed to air and food bits, which can be painful. Fortunately, dry socket can be easily treated and the pain relieved.

Continue Learning about Dry Socket

What do I need to know about caring for someone with dry socket?
When caring for someone with dry socket, there are several ways you can help them. You can place ice...
How does dry socket affect women differently than men?
Women are 20% more likely than men to get dry socket. This is most likely due to estrogen, a female ...
What is the rate of incidence for dry socket?
Dry socket is a problem that affects 3 to 5% of people who have a tooth extracted. The people who ge...
How long does dry socket last?
Dry socket generally lasts anywhere between a week and several weeks. However, once you have receive...