What can I do to relieve dry mouth?

Chris Kilham
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
To relieve symptoms of dry mouth, you want to take things that make you salivate: some peppermint oil, vinegar, or even lemon/lime juice. In this video, I will explain how these natural remedies help alleviate dry mouth.
To relieve dry mouth, keep water on hand so that you can regularly sip it and keep your mouth moist. You can also try sugar-free candies or ice pops to increase the production of saliva. Do not bite or chew the hard candies, but simply suck on them. Also, chewing sugar-free gum will help relieve dry mouth. If you use mouth rinses, make sure they do not contain alcohol. Alcohol can contribute to dry mouth. Avoiding salty or dry foods can also lessen symptoms of dry mouth, as can limiting or avoiding caffeine and not smoking. These options will hopefully help relieve your dry mouth symptoms. Many medications and conditions can cause dry mouth. If your dry mouth does not go away or if it is bothersome to you, make an appointment with your doctor or dentist.
Saliva helps wash away food particles and keeps the mouth moist. Without enough saliva, bacteria multiply in the mouth. When this happens, there is an increased risk of tooth decay and gum diseases. Constant dryness may irritate the soft tissues in the mouth, which can become painful.

Dryness of the mouth can be lessened by using sugarless gum or mints, taking frequent sips of water or melting ice chips in your mouth. If you have drinks with alcohol or caffeine, you may want to have fewer, as they may also worsen the dryness.

Your dentist may suggest a saliva substitute or medication that can be used to help relieve dry mouth. Some products are available over-the-counter at drugstores. Or your dentist may prescribe a medication for you.

Continue Learning about Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)

Is there a cure for dry mouth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
There is no cure for dry mouth; however, you can alleviate your symptoms by taking frequent small si...
Is dry mouth a symptom of a disease?
John Van der Werff, DDSJohn Van der Werff, DDS
It can be a symptom of a systemic disease. For example, Sjogren's syndrome. If you have a dry mouth ...
What Can Cause Dry Mouth?
What Can Cause Dry Mouth?
What Can I Do to Relieve Dry Mouth?
What Can I Do to Relieve Dry Mouth?