What can I do about dry mouth?

Unfortunately, dry mouth is a common side effect of Darifenacin. Adjusting the dose of this medication may decrease this side effect, but it is important to discuss this with your doctor before making any changes to your medication. If dry mouth continues to bother you, you may want to try sugar-free hard candy‚ some patients report that this helps with dry mouth.
To help alleviate dry mouth, visit your dentist, who can help diagnose the problem and offer solutions.

Other remedies include:
  • using artificial saliva to keep oral tissues moist
  • sugar-free gum or candy (to stimulate salivary flow)
  • frequent sips of water
  • alcohol-free oral rinses
  • restricted intake of caffeine, alcohol and carbonated beverages
Dry mouth (xerostomia) can give you the feeling that there is never enough saliva in your mouth. It happens when the saliva-producing glands in the mouth are not working correctly. If you're on medicines that lead to dry mouth, your doctor may be able to change the medicine or adjust the dose for you. If salivary gland damage is the problem, your doctor can prescribe medicine that either stimulates your gland to work better or acts as artificial saliva to help wet your mouth.

Some ways to help with xerostomia, regardless of its cause, include:
  • avoiding spicy or salty foods that may lead to pain
  • drinking water throughout the day to help moisten your mouth
  • limiting your caffeine intake (soda, tea, coffee), since caffeine can dehydrate you and further dry out your mouth
  • chewing sugarless gum or sucking on sugarless candies
  • avoiding alcohol and tobacco (like caffeine, they can dry out your mouth)
Dry mouth can be a debilitating side effect of many medications, cancer drugs and radiation to the head and neck.

Some ways to manage dry mouth include:
  • Perform oral hygiene at least 4 times a day.
  • Floss once a day.
  • Rinse your mouth after meals.
  • Rinse with mixture of ½ tsp. salt, ½ tsp. baking soda and 8 ounces of water 4 to 6 times a day.
  • Limit coffee, tea and alcohol.
  • Avoid dry foods.
  • Use moisturizer on your lips.
  • Add sauces and gravies to make foods more moist.
  • Chew sugar-free gums.
  • Sip water, or spray water into your mouth regularly.

Continue Learning about Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)

What activities should someone with dry mouth avoid?
There are not really any activities you should avoid if you have dry mouth, or xerostomia. For the m...
How often should I drink water if I have dry mouth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Frequent small sips of water can alleviate dry mouth. Chewing is the most efficient way to stimulate...
What Can I Do to Relieve Dry Mouth?
What Can I Do to Relieve Dry Mouth?
What Can Cause Dry Mouth?
What Can Cause Dry Mouth?