What lifestyle changes should I make if I have dry mouth?

If you suffer from dry mouth, you may find that fequent, small sips of water can help alleviate the condition. Taking care of your teeth and gums and regular dental visits are important when living with dry mouth. Without the cleansing effects of saliva, tooth decay and other oral health problems become more common. Patients using oral inhalers for asthma often develop oral candidiasis, an oral fungal infection, and are encouraged to rinse their mouths with water after using the inhaler. Tell your dentist what medications you are taking and any other information about your health that may help identify a solution.

If you have dry mouth, or xerostomia, make sure to drink plenty of water on a regular basis. You should also try to avoid alcohol and tobacco as much as possible. Make sure to see your dentist on a regular basis, as well, because dry mouth can cause an increase in dental decay and disease.

If you suffer from dry mouth, the following lifestyle changes may help ease your symptoms:
  • Brush regularly, at least twice a day, with a fluoride toothpaste.
  • Floss at least once a day to remove food particles from between the teeth.
  • Use an antiseptic mouthwash that kills bacteria in the mouth.
  • Sip liquids throughout the day (water, sugar free beverages).
  • Use a mouth rinse designated for those with dry mouth.
  • Avoid caffeinated drinks as caffeine dries the mouth.
  • Suck on sugarless hard candy; chew sugar free gum to increase saliva.
  • Use a humidifier in your office and bedroom to add moisture to the air.
  • Avoid spicy foods.
  • Avoid alcohol.
  • Stop cigarette smoking, as it dries out the mouth.

Continue Learning about Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)

How do other illnesses affect dry mouth?
Dry mouth, or xerostomia, is often a side effect of certain medications meant to target certain illn...
Is dry mouth serious?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Everyone’s mouth can be dry sometimes, but if you feel like your mouth is always dry, it may be time...
What Can I Do to Relieve Dry Mouth?
What Can I Do to Relieve Dry Mouth?
What Can Cause Dry Mouth?
What Can Cause Dry Mouth?