How does dry mouth lead to bad breath?

Dry mouth can lead to bad breath. Constant dryness and the lack of protection provided by saliva contribute to bad breath. Adequate salivary flow lubricates oral tissues, cleanses the mouth and begins the digestive process as foods are chewed. Dry mouth is a symptom rather than a specific disorder.

If you don't have enough saliva in your mouth to clean and wash away food particles, you are more likely to develop tooth decay and bad breath. Drink more liquids and try chewing sugarless gum or candy to keep your mouth moist. Also, your dentist may prescribe artificial saliva if your mouth is dry.

Continue Learning about Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)

How common is dry mouth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Dry mouth, also called xerostomia, is very common, In fact, everyone’s mouth can be dry sometimes. H...
What is xerostomia or dry mouth?
Dry mouth, also known as xerostomia, is characterized by a lack of saliva in the mouth. Dry mouth co...
What Can Cause Dry Mouth?
What Can Cause Dry Mouth?
What Can I Do to Relieve Dry Mouth?
What Can I Do to Relieve Dry Mouth?