What do I need to know about caring for someone with dry mouth?

Dry mouth is something that happens to everyone once in a while, but chronic dry mouth can be annoying and harmful. Someone with chronic dry mouth should drink water, particularly when eating, and avoid alcohol and tobacco. Additionally, people with chronic dry mouth should see their dentist at regular intervals to makes sure that their dry mouth isn't harming their dental health.

When caring for someone with dry mouth, follow these helpful tips:
  • Keep a humidifier running in their bedroom to add moisture to the air.
  • Avoid serving the person caffeinated drinks as caffeine dries out the mouth.
  • Provide sugar free gum and candies to help stimulate saliva.
  • Offer the person water throughout the day to help moisten their mouth.
  • Talk with their doctor about medications such as antihistamines that can increase the risk of dry mouth.
  • If the person smokes, see if they will give up smoking to improve their dry mouth condition.
  • Make sure the person brushes at least twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste and flosses once a day to remove plaque and help prevent tooth decay.

Continue Learning about Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)

Can I develop dry mouth as an adult?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Everyone's mouth can be dry sometimes. In fact, there are many causes for dry mouth, including side ...
What lifestyle changes should I make if I have dry mouth?
If you suffer from dry mouth, you may find that fequent, small sips of water can help alleviate the ...
What Can Cause Dry Mouth?
What Can Cause Dry Mouth?
What Can I Do to Relieve Dry Mouth?
What Can I Do to Relieve Dry Mouth?