Can dry mouth have any complications?

Taking care of your teeth and gums and regular dental visits are important when living with dry mouth. Without the cleansing effects of saliva, tooth decay and other oral health problems become more common. Patients using oral inhalers for asthma often develop oral candidiasis, an oral fungal infection, and are encouraged to rinse their mouths with water after using the inhaler. Tell your dentist what medications you are taking and any other information about your health that may help identify a solution.

Saliva is very important because it helps decrease bacteria in the mouth and protects the mouth from infection. When you are regularly experiencing dry mouth, you may have an increase in dental decay and disease. Be sure to see your dentist regularly and discuss your symptoms with your doctor.

One serious complication of dry mouth is that it can promote dental decay. While your mouth may otherwise be healthy, producing less saliva means less mouth bacteria is washed away. Also, saliva helps you swallow easily and fully taste your food. If your mouth is dry, you may have complications such as difficulty swallowing or issues with the taste of your food.

If you feel you have dry mouth or feel you need to sip water frequently, then talk to your doctor or dentist about treatment options. With good dental hygiene and treatment solutions, you should be able to improve the symptoms of dry mouth.

Continue Learning about Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)

How do other illnesses affect dry mouth?
Dry mouth, or xerostomia, is often a side effect of certain medications meant to target certain illn...
How often should I drink water if I have dry mouth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Frequent small sips of water can alleviate dry mouth. Chewing is the most efficient way to stimulate...
What Can Cause Dry Mouth?
What Can Cause Dry Mouth?
What Can I Do to Relieve Dry Mouth?
What Can I Do to Relieve Dry Mouth?