Are there alternative treatments for dry mouth?

Some evidence suggests that acupuncture can help relieve chronic dry mouth. Acupuncture is an ancient Chinese therapy that involves the careful placement of tiny needles in the skin in order to produce changes in the body. Several small studies have found that people with severe dry mouth (also called xerostomia) produce more saliva and feel less discomfort after undergoing acupuncture.

Treating dry mouth, or xerostomia, at home is very easy. Try chewing sugar-free gum or sucking on sugar-free candies and drinking plenty of water. Additionally, avoid alcohol and tobacco as much as possible.

The one alternative treatment that comes to mind is acupuncture. Studies have shown it may be of some help. I have had patients with mixed result. I have had some that it has helped and others where it has not made any improvement.

Continue Learning about Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)

Is dry mouth a symptom of a disease?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Dry mouth -- also called xerostomia -- results from an inadequate flow of saliva. It is not a diseas...
How long does dry mouth last?
Everyone’s mouth can be dry sometimes. If you feel like your mouth is always dry, it may be time to ...
What Can Cause Dry Mouth?
What Can Cause Dry Mouth?
What Can I Do to Relieve Dry Mouth?
What Can I Do to Relieve Dry Mouth?