Are there alternative treatments for dry mouth?

The one alternative treatment that comes to mind is acupuncture. Studies have shown it may be of some help. I have had patients with mixed result. I have had some that it has helped and others where it has not made any improvement.

Some evidence suggests that acupuncture can help relieve chronic dry mouth. Acupuncture is an ancient Chinese therapy that involves the careful placement of tiny needles in the skin in order to produce changes in the body. Several small studies have found that people with severe dry mouth (also called xerostomia) produce more saliva and feel less discomfort after undergoing acupuncture.

Treating dry mouth, or xerostomia, at home is very easy. Try chewing sugar-free gum or sucking on sugar-free candies and drinking plenty of water. Additionally, avoid alcohol and tobacco as much as possible.

Continue Learning about Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)

Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)

Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)

If you've ever taken an antihistamine, decongestant, antidepressant or a number of other drugs, you may have experienced dry mouth (xerostomia). Dry mouth is caused by a lack of saliva or your saliva may feel thick and stringy. Si...

de effects of medication are the most common cause of dry mouth. Fortunately there are remedies for dry mouth; talk to your doctor if symptoms are severe. Learn more about preventing and treating dry mouth with expert advice from Sharecare.