What is diabetic eye disease?

Diabetic eye disease refers to a group of eye problems that people with diabetes may face as a complication of diabetes. It can cause severe vision loss or even blindness.

Diabetic eye disease may include:

Diabetic retinopathy-damage to the blood vessels in the retina. Cataract-clouding of the eye's lens. Cataracts develop at an earlier age in people with diabetes. Glaucoma-increase in fluid pressure inside the eye that leads to optic nerve damage and loss of vision. A person with diabetes is nearly twice as likely to get glaucoma as other adults.

This answer is based on source information from National Eye Institute.
Diabetics may face all types of eye problems that nondiabetics face. However, diabetics are at a higher risk of diabetic retinopathy and cataracts.

Eye health can be a concern for diabetes patients. Watch this video to learn more from Dr. Manvi Maker about diabetic eye disease.

Continue Learning about Dry Eyes

How Do Dry Eyes Affect Women Differently Than Men?
Do dry eyes affect men and women differently? In this video, ophthalmologist David Demartini, MD, discusses why women are more susceptible than men wh...
How do I manage my dry eyes on a daily basis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
You can manage your dry eyes on a daily basis through an over-the-counter product and giving your ey...
What do dry eyes mean about my eye health?
Dry eyes mean that the eyes are not being supplied with adequate tears to function normally. Tears m...
Can dry eyes be prevented?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Dry eyes may sometimes be prevented by avoiding the environmental factors that contribute to the con...