How can blepharitis cause dry eye syndrome?

Laura C. Fine, MD
Ophthalmology
Dry eye syndrome (which occurs when tear production declines) may develop in people with posterior blepharitis, an inflammation of the inner eyelid that is common in people with allergies or in those with the skin disorders rosacea or seborrheic dermatitis. In people with blepharitis, the oil glands in the eyelid become inflamed and clog. As a result, the eyes are not bathed in the usual fine sheen of oil, and water from tears evaporates more rapidly than normal.

Continue Learning about Dry Eyes

How Do Dry Eyes Affect Women Differently Than Men?
Do dry eyes affect men and women differently? In this video, ophthalmologist David Demartini, MD, discusses why women are more susceptible than men wh...
Can dry eyes be prevented?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Dry eyes may sometimes be prevented by avoiding the environmental factors that contribute to the con...
Should I be worried about dry eyes?
If you are over the age of 65 and you are experiencing eye irritation over an extended period, you m...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with dry eyes?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
You may not need medical treatment for some eye dryness, but if you experience persistent irritation...