Are prescription drugs safe?

There are more than 3.6 billion prescriptions written per year in the U.S. and for the overwhelming majority of patients, those medicines have proven to be safe and effective.  According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), about 97% of the drugs it has approved over the past two decades are still on the market and considered safe.  America’s pharmaceutical companies, while pleased with this performance, continue to strive for improvements to this safety record.
Joseph Saseen, PharmD
Cholesterol Management
Prescription drugs are alll approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Part of this approval is proving that they are safe. However, there are several circumstances where an approved drug may have additional risks for side effects depending on the individual patient. Even though FDA approved drugs are generally safe, there may be some circumstances that are less safe than others.

Continue Learning about Drug Safety

Driving Under the Influence—of Prescription Medication
In 2014, when a 19-year-old Justin Bieber was pulled over for racing his Lamborghini around Miami, the police chief said the songster admitted to havi...
Why is powdered alcohol controversial?
Powdered alcohol is controversial for many reasons. It is not regulated by the Food and Drug Adm...
What are some safety guidelines for generic drugs and medications?
Tod Cooperman, MDTod Cooperman, MD
Safety guidelines for generic drugs include sticking with a specific generic if it's working, avoidi...
What Should I Discuss With My Doctor About My Heart Medications?