So, how does inkjet technology figure into drug patches?

In the drug patch using inkjet technology, the flow of drugs is controlled in the same way as the flow of ink is controlled in an inkjet printer.

In the printer, the flow of ink is controlled through the printer head. In the medical patch, the follow of medicine into the body would be controlled through the tip of each microneedle.

And, just as color printers can employ more than one color of ink, drug delivery patches can be designed to store and deliver many different kinds of drugs simultaneously.

Continue Learning about Drug Safety

Trash Your Old Pills on National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
For the ninth year in a row, law enforcement agencies are teaming up with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) for National Prescription Dru...
Are prescription drugs safe?
Joseph Saseen, PharmDJoseph Saseen, PharmD
Prescription drugs are alll approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Part of this approva...
Can over-the-counter medications be dangerous for kids?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
In 2007, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a warning about giving over-the-counter cough ...
What Should I Discuss With My Doctor About My Heart Medications?