How are generic drugs approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)?

Marc B. Garnick, MD
Hematology & Oncology
To meet Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval, a generic drug must be identical -- or bioequivalent -- to a brand-name drug in dosage, strength, safety, quality, how it works, how it's taken, and how it should be used. It must contain the same active ingredients as the brand-name drug, but inactive ingredients may vary.

Continue Learning about Drug Safety

How Much Ibuprofen Is Too Much?
How Much Ibuprofen Is Too Much?
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen are some of the most commonly used medications, with more than 30 billion doses taken ann...
Is the inkjet drug delivery system available to the general public?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
While this breakthrough technology shows promise, it must be proven safe and effective through tests...
Can over-the-counter medications be dangerous for kids?
One of the biggest misconceptions among parents is that over-the-counter meds are safer than prescri...
What Should I Discuss With My Doctor About My Heart Medications?