Why should I limit my teen's access to liquor at home?

Michele Borba
Teens admit getting alcohol is easy -- and the easiest place to get it is in their home. The second easiest place is in their friends' homes. One study at Ultrecht University in The Netherlands of 12- to 15-year olds found that the only parenting factor related to adolescent drinking was the amount of alcohol availability in the home. The amount of liquor the parents drank was not a factor.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Drug, Alcohol, Tobacco Use In Teens

How can I talk to my teen about alcohol poisoning?
Binge drinking, which can lead to alcohol poisoning, is most common in young adults aged 18 to 22 ye...
How can I protect my teen from drinking and substance abuse?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
Protecting your child from drinking and substance abuse involves many different factors, some of whi...
How can I encourage my teen to call for a ride if he's been drinking?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Teens say that losing face with peers is a big reason they don't call for help. "I couldn't call...
Why is vodka eyeballing dangerous for teens?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Eyeballing is when a teen holds a vodka bottle to his eye and pours the alcohol directly into th...