Why is alcohol commonly involved in hazing deaths?

Michele Borba
In 82% of hazing deaths, a huge amount of alcohol consumed is involved. Alcohol is sometimes referred to as "liquid courage," and it's plain to see why the vast majority of college student athletes and pledges to fraternities and sororities would need to be brave when going through hazing. It can involve beatings, public humiliation, or simply being forced to chug copious amounts of alcohol. As one researcher, professor Hank Nuwer, put it, "We're talking levels which would be approaching basically half of your blood system being filled with liquor."
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Drug, Alcohol, Tobacco Use In Teens

How does TV advertising affect drinking among teenagers?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Long-term studies show that kids who see, hear and read more alcohol ads are more likely to drink an...
How can I talk to my teen about alcohol poisoning?
Binge drinking, which can lead to alcohol poisoning, is most common in young adults aged 18 to 22 ye...
How should I set rules for my teen about drinking and driving?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
A study of over 1000 teens found that teens with "hands on" parents who establish clear behavior...
Why is vodka eyeballing dangerous for teens?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Eyeballing is when a teen holds a vodka bottle to his eye and pours the alcohol directly into th...