What should I tell my teenager about alcohol and parties?

Michele Borba
Review party and drinking safety. No matter how hard schools try, alcohol seems to find its way to a prom or an after-prom party.

So review “party safety smarts” with your teen which she or he needs to know anyway. (These are critical lessons our teens will need when leaving home.)

Keep in mind that this information does not mean you’re giving your teen permission to have sex, to drink, etc. You’re giving him a back-up plan to keep him or her safe in “just in case” scenarios.

You can teach a teen to hold an ice water with cubes and it may appear like a drink. Giving an excuse, “I have a headache” also works. “I don’t drink” is the goldmine comment but most teens say that one is hard.

Here are a few things you might consider reviewing with your teen:
  • Always watch your drink being made. Never drink from an open container.
  • Keep your drink in your hands at all times. Date rape drugs are part of the bad party scene. Teach the drink rule: “Put it down, don’t pick it up.” Stress that this is the one time you don’t want your kid to share: don’t pass your drink or take a drink from someone. Teaching a few peer pressure strategies for a party are always helpful like how to gracefully “lose” a drink, pretend to sip, or the “gentle spill” (I still use that one).
  • If you feel funny, nauseous, don’t wait to get help. Tell a friend to help you. Text the parent or responsible adult. Call a taxi. Dial 911. Always leave your address with dispatcher or friend. Don’t leave a friend.
Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine

Review “party safety smarts” with your teen which she or he needs to know.

• Keep your drink in your hands at all times. Date rape drugs are part of the bad party scene. Teach the drink rule: “Put it down, don’t pick it up.” Emphasize on “don’t pass your drink or take a drink from someone.”
  • Teaching a few peer pressure strategies for a party is always helpful, such as, how to gracefully “lose” a drink, pretend to sip, or the “gentle spill.”
  • If you feel funny, nauseous, don’t wait to get help. Tell a friend to help you. 
  • Text the parent or responsible adult. Call a taxi. Dial 911. Always leave your address with dispatcher or friend.

Continue Learning about Drug, Alcohol, Tobacco Use In Teens

Why is vodka eyeballing dangerous for teens?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Eyeballing is when a teen holds a vodka bottle to his eye and pours the alcohol directly into th...
How can I prevent my teen from drunk driving?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Review these skills with your teen. PLEASE! Teen drinking and driving is one parenting peril we ...
How should I set rules for my teen about drinking and driving?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
A study of over 1000 teens found that teens with "hands on" parents who establish clear behavior...
How can I monitor if my teen drinks and drives?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Let your teen know you will be monitoring if he drinks and drives. This sounds obvious but don't...