How should I talk to my teenager who has started smoking?

Armin Brott
Pediatrics
The way you handle this issue (smoking) with your child is as important as doing it. Be very careful not to come in with guns blazing and accusations flying. That’s a sure fire way to shut down communication, which will make it less likely that you’ll be able to see her through this important decision. Speak calmly. Make it clear that you love and respect her, that you trust her ability to do the right thing for her health and well-being, and that you will support her every step of the way.

Continue Learning about Drug, Alcohol, Tobacco Use In Teens

Why should I limit my teen's access to liquor at home?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Teens admit getting alcohol is easy -- and the easiest place to get it is in their home. The sec...
How can I talk to my teen about alcohol poisoning?
Binge drinking, which can lead to alcohol poisoning, is most common in young adults aged 18 to 22 ye...
How common are alcohol-related deaths among college students?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are some statistics on college drinking deaths: Nearly 2,000 students die from alcohol-relate...
How can I prevent children from consuming alcohol?
Fredrick WadeFredrick Wade
The ultimate answer is that you probably cannot. However, you can choose to not have alcohol in your...