What are the risks of my teenager drinking?

Armin Brott
Pediatrics
 It's illegal for her to be drinking in the first place--or for anyone who's legally able to drink to buy liquor for a minor.
  • Even one drink can slow her reactions, confuse her thinking, and keep her from making good decisions.
  • At least 5,000 young people die every year in alcohol-related car accidents, homicides, and suicides, and thousands more are injured.
  • There’s mounting evidence that drinking during adolescence can lead to learning and memory impairments, difficulties with balance and coordination, social problems, depression, and other neurological, medical, and mental problems.
  • Teens who begin drinking before age 15 are five times more likely to become alcoholics than those who start at 21.

Continue Learning about Drug, Alcohol, Tobacco Use In Teens

How strict should I be against drinking and drugs with my teen?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Feel free to be puritanical and strict when it comes to setting rules against drinking and drugs. Co...
How can I monitor if my teen drinks and drives?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Let your teen know you will be monitoring if he drinks and drives. This sounds obvious but don't...
How should I set rules for my teen about drinking and driving?
Raychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPCRaychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPC
When it comes to drinking and driving, set high expectations for your teen. Here are some tips to he...
Why should I limit my teen's access to liquor at home?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Teens admit getting alcohol is easy -- and the easiest place to get it is in their home. The sec...