What are the risks of my teenager drinking?

Armin Brott
Pediatrics
 It's illegal for her to be drinking in the first place--or for anyone who's legally able to drink to buy liquor for a minor.
  • Even one drink can slow her reactions, confuse her thinking, and keep her from making good decisions.
  • At least 5,000 young people die every year in alcohol-related car accidents, homicides, and suicides, and thousands more are injured.
  • There’s mounting evidence that drinking during adolescence can lead to learning and memory impairments, difficulties with balance and coordination, social problems, depression, and other neurological, medical, and mental problems.
  • Teens who begin drinking before age 15 are five times more likely to become alcoholics than those who start at 21.

Continue Learning about Drug, Alcohol, Tobacco Use In Teens

How can I prevent children from consuming alcohol?
Fredrick WadeFredrick Wade
The ultimate answer is that you probably cannot. However, you can choose to not have alcohol in your...
How can I prevent my teen from drunk driving?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Review these skills with your teen. PLEASE! Teen drinking and driving is one parenting peril we ...
How does TV advertising affect drinking among teenagers?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Long-term studies show that kids who see, hear and read more alcohol ads are more likely to drink an...
How can I monitor if my teen drinks and drives?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Let your teen know you will be monitoring if he drinks and drives. This sounds obvious but don't...