What happens if I break the law for alcohol usage for teenagers?

It is illegal to be a social host and provide alcohol to minors. Many states have hefty consequences for providing alcohol to underage youth. These laws fall under Social Host Liability Laws.

What is a Social Host?

Although the definition of a Social Host varies across states, generally it is a person who:

• furnishes alcohol with no motive of monetary gain
  • has no special relationship, such as an employer, with the guest
  • serves alcohol or condones the consumption of alcohol on property that the host controls.
  • may be either an adult or a minor.

The Alcohol Policy Information System list state by state underage drinking laws. Do you know the law in your state? Visit the APIS website to learn more about state laws for alcohol usage and teens.

http://www.alcoholpolicy.niaaa.nih.gov/state_profiles_of_underage_drinking_laws.html

Continue Learning about Drug, Alcohol, Tobacco Use In Teens

How can I prevent children from consuming alcohol?
Fredrick WadeFredrick Wade
The ultimate answer is that you probably cannot. However, you can choose to not have alcohol in your...
How should I set rules for my teen about drinking and driving?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
A study of over 1000 teens found that teens with "hands on" parents who establish clear behavior...
How should I talk to my teenager who has started smoking?
Armin BrottArmin Brott
The way you handle this issue (smoking) with your child is as important as doing it. Be very careful...
How can I prevent my teen from drunk driving?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Review these skills with your teen. PLEASE! Teen drinking and driving is one parenting peril we ...