What happens if I break the law for alcohol usage for teenagers?

It is illegal to be a social host and provide alcohol to minors. Many states have hefty consequences for providing alcohol to underage youth. These laws fall under Social Host Liability Laws.

What is a Social Host?

Although the definition of a Social Host varies across states, generally it is a person who:

• furnishes alcohol with no motive of monetary gain
  • has no special relationship, such as an employer, with the guest
  • serves alcohol or condones the consumption of alcohol on property that the host controls.
  • may be either an adult or a minor.

The Alcohol Policy Information System list state by state underage drinking laws. Do you know the law in your state? Visit the APIS website to learn more about state laws for alcohol usage and teens.

http://www.alcoholpolicy.niaaa.nih.gov/state_profiles_of_underage_drinking_laws.html

Continue Learning about Drug, Alcohol, Tobacco Use In Teens

Why is vodka eyeballing dangerous for teens?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Eyeballing is when a teen holds a vodka bottle to his eye and pours the alcohol directly into th...
What are the risks of my teenager drinking?
Armin BrottArmin Brott
 It's illegal for her to be drinking in the first place--or for anyone who's legally able to drink t...
How can I prevent children from consuming alcohol?
Fredrick WadeFredrick Wade
The ultimate answer is that you probably cannot. However, you can choose to not have alcohol in your...
What should I tell my teenager about alcohol and parties?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
Review “party safety smarts” with your teen which she or he needs to know. Keep in mind that this i...