How can I monitor if my teen drinks and drives?

Michele Borba
Let your teen know you will be monitoring if he drinks and drives. This sounds obvious but don't overlook it: teens say if they know you are watching they are less likely to engage in risky behaviors. Of course, they won't tell you that to your face -- but they do tell researchers. So be there. Waiting at the front door when he comes home is a great technique. Then give him a quick check on those signs you may miss:
  • A quick hug to smell for liquor
  • Check eyes for redness
  • Check speech patterns: "How was the party?"
  • Look for a new pattern of gum chewing or mint sucking to reduce alcohol smell
  • Watch the walk
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Drug, Alcohol, Tobacco Use In Teens

How strict should I be against drinking and drugs with my teen?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Feel free to be puritanical and strict when it comes to setting rules against drinking and drugs. Co...
What happens if I break the law for alcohol usage for teenagers?
Raychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPCRaychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPC
It is illegal to be a social host and provide alcohol to minors. Many states have hefty consequences...
What are the risks of my teenager drinking?
Armin BrottArmin Brott
 It's illegal for her to be drinking in the first place--or for anyone who's legally able to drink t...
How can I prevent children from consuming alcohol?
Fredrick WadeFredrick Wade
The ultimate answer is that you probably cannot. However, you can choose to not have alcohol in your...