How can I monitor if my teen drinks and drives?

Michele Borba
Let your teen know you will be monitoring if he drinks and drives. This sounds obvious but don't overlook it: teens say if they know you are watching they are less likely to engage in risky behaviors. Of course, they won't tell you that to your face -- but they do tell researchers. So be there. Waiting at the front door when he comes home is a great technique. Then give him a quick check on those signs you may miss:
  • A quick hug to smell for liquor
  • Check eyes for redness
  • Check speech patterns: "How was the party?"
  • Look for a new pattern of gum chewing or mint sucking to reduce alcohol smell
  • Watch the walk
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Drug, Alcohol, Tobacco Use In Teens