When do dreams happen during sleep?

The most memorable and emotionally powerful dreams happen during the REM (rapid-eye movement) phase of sleep, which is the stage of sleep when our brains are most similar to a wakeful state.

It is during REM that the hippocampus and amygdala, two organs in our heads responsible for memory and emotions respectively, and areas in the frontal and prefrontal lobes near the forehead responsible for attention and coordination, work together in dream production.

If, for example, you have a fear of flying and it’s literally on your mind, you’re more likely to produce an associated image of that fear, which then emerges during REM as those emotionally-charged areas of the brain become activated.

Exceptionally vivid and memorable dreams occur just before we wake up, but it’s possible that we’ve been dreaming similar themes all night long during the four or five phases of REM that we go through. So even though we recall just what we dreamed about in the last cycle, it could be reflective of the night’s cumulative dream content. Like a single television show with one theme interrupted by unrelated commercials, which are the other phases of sleep where we don’t dream.

Continue Learning about Dreams and Nightmares

What can I do that will help me remember my dreams?
Lauri LoewenbergLauri Loewenberg
The best way to remember your dream is to remain very still in the same position you woke in, give y...
What does it mean when I dream about being back at school?
Lauri LoewenbergLauri Loewenberg
Dreaming about being back at school is very common, and is usually connected to your job or career, ...
Decoding Common Dreams
Decoding Common Dreams
Why Are Dreams Important?
Why Are Dreams Important?