Are out-of-body experiences and lucid dreams related?

Out-of-body experiences are a little out of my area, but I do know that  an out-of-body experience is usually an experience where there is a sensation of floating outside of one’s body, or the ability to see or feel your body from far away. Both can be induced from a waking state, and both will allow you to do impossible things ( such as flying walking through walls, etc).

Some researchers suggest that out-of-body experiences (OBEs) may be a type of lucid dream.

During an OBE, a person can see his or physical body as if he or she is located somewhere outside it. During surgery, the person undergoing the procedure may feel like he or she is floating above his or her body and viewing the operation.

But scientists Lynne Levitan and Stephen LaBerge say that OBEs are quire different from lucid dreams. In OBEs, people think everything is real. In lucid dreams, dreamers known they are dreaming.

Continue Learning about Dreams and Nightmares