Is lucid dreaming for real?

Lucid dreaming is a bit controversial because it sounds so "New Age-y," like undergoing color light therapy or reading crystals, things that are not universally accepted. There is science, however, behind lucid dreaming.

In one study, subjects were monitored with electroencephalograms (EEGs-a test of the electrical brain activity) while they were sleeping. The participants motioned with their eyelids when they were in the middle of a lucid dream. The EEGs confirmed the subjects were in REM sleep when they signaled their lucid dream state.

There is little dispute that people can have lucid dreams. The question is whether people can control their dreams. Some scientists are sure that people can. Others dismiss dream control as pure nonsense.

Yes. There are many documented cases of lucid dreaming in the medical literature, and an entire research protocol has been established to prove the presence of lucid dreams. In addition, lucid dreaming has been shown to be an effective treatment for nightmare frequency. The current expert is thought to be Stephen LaBerge, who runs a Lucidity Institute dedicated to the study of lucid dreams.

Continue Learning about Dreams and Nightmares

Who coined the term lucid dreams?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Frederik van Eeden, a Dutch psychiatrist, coined the term for lucid dreams in 1913.Van Eeden claimed...
What does it mean when I dream about being back at school?
Lauri LoewenbergLauri Loewenberg
Dreaming about being back at school is very common, and is usually connected to your job or career, ...
What Can I Do That Will Help Me Remember My Dreams?
What Can I Do If I Am Having Violent Dreams?