What is going on in the brain during lucid dreaming?

It is not clear what is happening in the brain during lucid dreaming. Dr. Matthew Walker, director of a sleep lab at Berkeley, believes the lateral prefrontal cortex, which is a part of the brain that deals with logic, may be responsible for lucid dreaming.

During REM sleep, the lateral prefrontal cortex is supposed to be "asleep," but it is possible that it awakens so that both dreaming and logic are working simultaneously, enabling the dreamer to realize that the dream is a dream.

Continue Learning about Dreams and Nightmares

Who is Stephen Laberge?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Stephen Laberge is a psychophysiologist, with a degree from Stanford University, who leads the Lucid...
How can I prevent my child's nightmares?
Dale M. Valentine, MDDale M. Valentine, MD
Scary dreams are quite common in children. In the case of nightmares children will awake crying and ...
What Can I Do That Will Help Me Remember My Dreams?
Decoding Common Dreams
Decoding Common Dreams