Do any tools help create lucid dreams?

Lauri Loewenberg

In my research and experience I have found the best tool to help you become lucid is your alarm clock! Simply set it for 20 to 30 minutes earlier than you normally need to get up. When it goes off, hit the snooze button and then, when you are in that 20 to 30 minute window of sleep you are far more likely to get a lucid dream BECAUSE you will not be asleep long enough to go into  deep Delta sleep and will instead linger in the lighter phases of sleep. So when you begin having, what I call a "dream let" (a visual, dreamlike experience that is not a full on REM dream) you still have enough consciousness to realize you are "dreaming" and can then control the dream.

I also recommend that when you reach that state of being awake while in the dream, you ask a character in your dream a question like, "What is the meaning of life" and see what kind of answer you get! One of my clients did that and the answer she got was "penguins." Ha!

There are techniques to create or help identify a lucid dream. The common reality checks include:

Time checking: here you look at their digital watch and  when you glance back a short time later either the time has changed dramatically, there are numbers that may not make sense, or the watch shows different characters.

Switch flipping: when turning on and off light switches the actual light in the dream does not usually change.

Hand Stamp: By placing an “X” on the back of your hand and looking at it throughout the day you get into the habit of seeing it. If in a dream you look and it is not there, chances are good you are in a lucid dream.

The most notable gadget might be the NovaDreamer, which is a Lucidity Institute innovation. This gadget looks like a cross between goggles and a sleeping mask.

It is supposed to assist you with lucid dreaming by making you aware when are in REM sleep. Sensors in the device track your eye movements and trigger a light that shines on your eyes. When you see the light during your dream, you will know that you are dreaming.

Lucid dream expert Stephen LaBerge also has experimented with the use of galantamine, a medicine that sometimes is used to treat Alzheimer's patients. The drug is supposed to enhance the ability to think and remember.

Continue Learning about Dreams and Nightmares