When was Down syndrome discovered?

For centuries, people with Down syndrome have been alluded to in art, literature and science. It wasn’t until the late 19th century, however, that John Langdon Down, an English doctor, published an accurate description of a person with Down syndrome. It was this scholarly work, published in 1866, that earned Down the recognition as the “father” of the syndrome. Although other people had previously recognized the characteristics of the syndrome, it was Down who described the condition as a distinct and separate entity.

This content originally appeared on the National Down Syndrome Society website.

Continue Learning about Down Syndrome

How can I take care of my child with Down syndrome?
Joan Guthrie MedlenJoan Guthrie Medlen
By being a good parent.Being a parent of a child with Down syndrome is just that: being a parent. Th...
How can I teach my Down syndrome child not to hit or pull hair?
Joan Guthrie MedlenJoan Guthrie Medlen
First, take a deep breath. It always helps.Children with Down syndrome are going to have some of the...
How Was the Connection Between Down's Syndrome and Alzehimer's Disease Made?
The Connection Between Down Syndrome and Alzheimer's Disease