What are people with Down syndrome capable of?

Though people with Down syndrome are at an increased risk for certain medical conditions, advances in healthcare and treatment of these conditions have allowed for most individuals with Down syndrome to lead healthy lives. People with Down syndrome attend school and work, participate in decisions that affect them, have meaningful relationships, vote and contribute to society in many wonderful ways.

Quality educational programs, a stimulating home environment, good healthcare and positive support from family, friends and the community enable people with Down syndrome to lead fulfilling and productive lives.

This content originally appeared on the National Down Syndrome Society website.

Many people who have Down syndrome live with their families, are educated in mainstream classrooms, and hold various jobs as adults. Most people with Down have IQs in the mid to moderate range of retardation, but Down kids can be educated and researchers are still discovering the full potential of people with Down syndrome.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Take the RealAge Test!

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Down Syndrome