Should I see a doctor about my child's Down syndrome symptoms?

Children with Down Syndrome require a multidisciplinary tem approach to care as a variety of complications may be present. Having a primary care doctor to coordinate this care is essential. Specialists such as cardiologists, gastroenterologists, neurologists, endocrinologists, physical therapists, developmental specialists, occupational therapists, and speech pathologists may be needed depending upon the child's individual needs. This team approach can help ensure that the child is receiving the medical care needed to maintain good health and develop to the child's fullest potential.

Even though there is no cure for Down syndrome, you should definitely talk to a doctor about it. Down syndrome has been linked to a number of medical conditions (some that are serious), so it is important for a doctor to be able to diagnose these other problems early and recommend treatment for them. Luckily, Down syndrome is a well-known disorder, so doctors have a good idea of what associated conditions to investigate.

Continue Learning about Down Syndrome

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.