How does having Down syndrome affect relationships and marriage?

People with Down syndrome socialize and have meaningful friendships. Some choose to date, maintain ongoing relationships and marry. Adults with Down syndrome are not children, and should not be considered children. They enjoy activities and companionship with other adults, and have similar needs and feelings as their typical peers.

This content originally appeared on the National Down Syndrome Society website.

Continue Learning about Down Syndrome

How can I take care of my child with Down syndrome?
Joan Guthrie MedlenJoan Guthrie Medlen
By being a good parent.Being a parent of a child with Down syndrome is just that: being a parent. Th...
What is the likelihood of having a second child with Down syndrome?
Daniel R. Spogen, MDDaniel R. Spogen, MD
The likelihood of having a second child with Down syndrome is 1 in 100. The risk is higher if the mo...
Why Does an Extra Copy of One Gene in Down Syndrome Patients Have Such a Profound Effect?
How Are You Applying Your Down's Syndrome Research to Alzehimer's Disease?