What can I do about diverticular disease?

Eat a high-fiber diet to help prevent problems. Talk to your doctor about using fiber products like Benefiber, Citrucel, or Metamucil. Daily use can help you get the fiber you need if you do not get it through your diet.

Ask your doctor about which food choices are right for you.

Eating foods high in fiber is simple and can help reduce the symptoms of and problems associated with diverticular disease.

Try eating more of the following:

Fruits: Raw apples, peaches, pears, and tangerines Vegetables: Fresh broccoli, squash, carrots, and brussels sprout Starchy vegetables: Potatoes, baked beans, kidney beans, and lima beans Grains: Whole-wheat bread, brown rice, bran flake cereal, and oatmeal

Talk to your doctor about making diet changes. Learn what to eat and how to put more of these high-fiber foods in your diet.

This answer is based on source information from National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.

Continue Learning about Diverticulitis

Should I talk to my doctor about my diverticulitis symptoms?
If you experience symptoms of diverticulitis, such as severe abdominal pain on the left side, fever,...
How can I reduce diverticulitis symptoms?
Diverticula are small outpouchings (pockets) in the intestine that are filled with waste. By age eig...
How Can a Vegetarian Diet Affect Diverticulitis?
How Diverticulitis Nearly Killed Iyanla Vanzant