How can I reduce diverticulitis symptoms?

Diverticula are small outpouchings (pockets) in the intestine that are filled with waste. By age eighty, all of us have them, and by age sixty, 50 percent of us have them. So, how can you live with fewer symptoms and disease from your diverticula? Eat at least 5 grams of insoluble fiber a day. Insoluble fiber is found in many foods: grapefruit, oranges, grapes, raisins, dried fruit, sweet potatoes, peas, and zucchini, but especially in whole wheat bread. Even nuts have fiber, and despite the old wives tale that you should not have nuts if you have diverticulitis, not even one case of a chewed nut causing diverticulitis exists. So, eating fiber is a way you can live with a chronic condition that most of us have, and minimize the aging that that chronic condition causes.

Continue Learning about Diverticulitis

What are the symptoms of diverticulosis?
American Society for Gastrointestinal EndoscopyAmerican Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
Most people who have diverticulosis are unaware that they have the condition because it usually does...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with diverticulitis?
If you are caring for someone who exhibits any of the symptoms of diverticulitis, such as pain in th...
What Is the Diet for Someone with Diverticulitis?
How Is Diverticulosis Treated?
How Is Diverticulosis Treated?