What do I need to know about caring for someone with diverticulitis?

If you are caring for someone who exhibits any of the symptoms of diverticulitis, such as pain in the lower left side of the abdomen, fever, nausea, or changes in bowel movements, you should make an appointment with their doctor. In the meantime, the pain and fever associated with diverticulitis may be able to be managed with over-the-counter pain medication. Once you have this episode of diverticulitis under control, a high-fiber diet, regular exercise, plenty of fluids, and weight management can help reduce the risk for future episodes of diverticulitis.

Continue Learning about Diverticulitis

How common is diverticulosis?
American Society for Gastrointestinal EndoscopyAmerican Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
Diverticulosis is a common condition in the United States that affects half of all people over 60 ye...
What can I do to prevent flare-ups with diverticulitis?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Lower risk of this complication of diverticulosis with diet and avoidance of two drugs.DIVERTICULOSI...
How Diverticulitis Nearly Killed Iyanla Vanzant
What Is Diverticulosis?
What Is Diverticulosis?