When can I stop taking furosemide?

If you are prescribed furosemide (Lasix), your doctor may want you to take it a few days one week, stop and then take it again the next week. For example, a common treatment plan is to take furosemide for two to four consecutive days, stop for the rest of the week and then repeat each week after that. You may be able to stop taking furosemide, a diuretic used to treat edema (fluid retention), when your edema improves.

Furosemide is also used to treat high blood pressure. If this is why you're taking it, your doctor may have you continue indefinitely.

Do not stop taking furosemide without talking to your doctor. However, your doctor may advise you to stop taking furosemide if it causes serious side effects, in which case you may need a different medication.

Continue Learning about Diuretic

What should I know about metolazone before taking it?
If you have impaired liver function, metolazone may cause hepatic coma. If you are allergic to sulf...
How effective are thiazide diuretics for the treatment of heart failure?
Thiazide diuretics are as effective as most other blood pressure medications. When used in combinati...
Does metolazone interact with any other medications?
If you are taking digoxin or a loop diuretic, metolazone may not be a good option for you. If you a...
Are diuretic drugs safe?
Nicole BasileNicole Basile
With the proper dosing and oversight of a physician, diuretic medications can be used safely to trea...