What tests do I need before taking hydrochlorothiazide?

Before taking hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) to treat your high blood pressure or edema, your doctor may want to run tests to check the condition of your kidneys. While taking hydrochlorothiazide, your doctor will need to routinely check your blood pressure. Depending on any other health conditions you may have, your doctor may use urine and blood tests to measure the amount of salt in your body, the health of your kidneys and to check for unwanted allergic reactions to treatment. When seeing a doctor about a thyroid condition, it's also important to tell him or her if you're taking HCTZ, because this medication can affect certain test results.

Continue Learning about Diuretic

What are loop diuretics for heart failure management?
Loop diuretics remove sodium and water from the body, acting on a part of the kidney called the Loop...
Why might a cardiovascular patient be prescribed diuretics?
SCAISCAI
Diuretics are often prescribed to cardiovascular patients to lower blood pressure, which will help r...
How effective are thiazide diuretics for the treatment of heart failure?
Thiazide diuretics are as effective as most other blood pressure medications. When used in combinati...
What should I know about metolazone before taking it?
If you have impaired liver function, metolazone may cause hepatic coma. If you are allergic to sulf...